Three Somalis among the victims of  Christchurch mosque attack

Three Somalis have been confirmed to be part of Muslim faithful killed by right wing extremist gunmen in Christchurch, New Zealand on Friday.

According to representatives of Somali community in the city, the victims were named as Sheikh Nur Muse, Sheikh Abdulkadir and six years old, Abdulllahi Aden Dirie.

New Zealand police said Forty-nine people have been killed and at least 20 others injured in shootings at two mosques in  Christchurch in the worst attack in the Pacific country’s history.

New Zealand’s Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern told a news conference that the mosque shootings appeared to be a well-planned “terrorist attack”.

“This is, and will be, one of New Zealand’s darkest days,” an ashen-faced Ardern said.

The prime minister also said two explosive devices attached to suspect vehicles were found and were disarmed.

The mosques  targeted were the Masjid Al Noor in central Christchurch and another one in suburban Linwood.

Police said four suspects, including a woman, were apprehended in connection with the attacks. One of the arrested men had been charged with murder.

Authorities have urged people in central Christchurch to stay indoors.

Police have also warned worshipers not to visit mosques “anywhere in New Zealand”. A lock down imposed throughout Christchurch was called off at about 05:00 GMT.





Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply